Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's Independence Day

Ok, sorry about that 4 day lack of anything. But no worries, we are going to play a little catch up over the next few days.

Reason 8: Independence

For those who don't know, today the 16th of September is Mexico's Independence Day. 200 years of independence they are celebrating today. So it seems fit that today's reason be independence.
One thing my dad was always good at was making us into independent individuals. I am thankful for all the ways I was taught independence because it shaped and formed me into the person I am today. Here are few examples that stick out. Chores around the house...from a young age we all had certain chores we had to do everyday/week. I learned the significance of "no work, no play" from an early age. We had deadlines for the chores and if they weren't met, there would be no play happening until they were finished. When I was 9, doing my own laundry was added to the list of chores. I messed up a lot of clothes learning how to wash my own clothes, but I eventually figured it out. I know people who go to college and don't know how to do their own laundry. I actually had to teach an exchange student here in Puebla how to wash clothes when he got here and he was in his 4th year in college. I appreciate learning how to take care of myself before I got out on my own.
Apart from the chores inside the house, we were encouraged to make our own money outside of the house. I learned how to save for something if I wanted it. I learned how to give back to God in the form of money. I learned responsibility and independence.
I was taught to handle and deal with issues that came up without having my parents always jump in to fix everything. My dad would say, "piss poor planning on your part, doesn't require an emergency crisis on mine." Of course that doesn't mean they weren't by my side through it all nor that they never lent a hand when needed because they did, it just means they gave me independence and with that independence comes responsibility. They prepared me for the "real life" the best anyone could, before the "real life" actually happened.

they were independent at a young age, and taught me the same

Thanks for the independence you taught and gave over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment